Memory enhancing modalities Of Ayurveda
Memory is to retain information gathered by sense organs. The brain is the center for the collection of information, action on information and storehouse of result for a future perspective which is called MEMORY. It is the reformation of past experience by the synchronizing action of neuron involved in real experience.
Types of memory :
- Sensory memory
- Short term memory
- Long term memory
In Ayurveda Classics, Memory is described as Smriti (Memory) which is one of the faculty of Mana ( मन ). Mana is important for the perception of knowledge and without the involvement of Mana no knowledge occurs.
Smriti (memory)is one of the three faculty of Prajna (Budhi). Other two are dhee (perception of knowledge) and dhriti (Retention of knowledge). Smriti means the ability to recall things. In this competitive era, where each and everyone wants to achieve the highest goal. Competition is increasing day by day to fight the world. Competition is increasing at the school, college and workplace level. So to fight with the competition and to achieve the highest goal everyone wants to have a good memory.
Factors Responsible for Memory Loss (Smriti Hrasa) :
- Day Sleep: Day Sleep increase Kapha Dosha. The continuous habit of day sleep alters the digestion & metabolism which hampers the growth and Smriti.
- Intake of sour, salty and Pungent food articles.
- Daily intake of alcohol.
- Excessive exercise.
- Mansika bhava like Bhaya, krodha, shoka.
- Age factor.
All these factors vitiated the manovaha srotas which dimish the dhee, dhriti and Smriti.
Ayurveda Modalities for Memory Enhancement :
Ayurveda described different treatment modalities for memory enhancement.
- Ausadh Chikitsa (Medicinal Part): Ayurveda described different medicine for memory enhancement and mano vaha srotas dusthi. Some of them are described below :
- Sarsawatarishta: 10 -20 ML Two times daily with equal quantity of water.
- Brahmi Vati: One tab two times daily.
- Shankpushpi syp: 10 ml two times daily.
- Smriti Sagar rasa: one tab two times daily.
- Brahmi ghrit: One tablespoon full empty stomach two times daily.
- Saraswat churna: One spoon two times daily.
- Medhya Drugs :Mandukparni ,vacha, kushmand,jyotishmati ,jatamnsi ,ashwangadha.
The medicine should be taken with prior consultation with Ayurveda physician only.
- Suwarna Prashana: It is a process in which pure gold ash is being used along with cow ghee and other magical herbs.
- Rasayana Chikitsa: In Ayurveda classics, for enhancement of memory, medhya Rasayana is described.The word ‘medhya rasayanas’, derived from two words ‘medhya’, meaning intellect, and ‘rasayana’, meaning ‘rejuvenation.
Medhya Rasayana is the group of Four medicinal plants either singly or in the group mentioned by Acharya Charak:
- Mandukaparni swaras (Centella Asiatica )-act as the brain growth promoter,
- Yastimadhu churna with milk (Glycirrhiza glabra )-improves learning and memory.
- Guduchi swaras (Tinospora cordifolia)- acts as learning and memory enhancing, antioxidant, and anti-stress action.
- Shankhapushpi Kalka (Convolvulus pluricaulis)-effective in stress.
- Shirodhara: Shirodhara is a classic Ayurvedic therapy.shirodhara is the pouring of warm herbal oil on the forehead in the form of a stream. Shirodhara activates the Vital Points in the head and improves circulation over the vital points. The warm oils used cause vasodilatation of all the channels and thereby improve the blood circulation of the brain. Shirodhara also reduces the level of stress and help in the enhancement of memory.shirodhara is done with takra, oil, water and ksheer(milk), etc.
- Shirovasti: Shirovasti is an ayurvedic procedure in which head is covered by a leather inside the cap for a certain period of time. Shirovasti is used for the treatment of neurological diseases, disease of sleep, migraine, headache, depression, enhancement of medha and smriti. It is also beneficial for lowering stress and building immunity against psychosomatic diseases. Shirovasti is a part of panchkarma procedure which includes snehana and swedana.
- Shiro pichu: it is the procedure which derived from two words: Shiro meaning head, Pichu meaning a swab dipped in medicated oils. It falls under the categoryof Murdhni Taila. It is effective in hairfall, premature graying of hair, sleep disorders, enhancement of memory, headache and other psychological disorders.
- Shiro Abhyanga: Shiro means head and Abhyangam refers to Massage. So Shiro abhyanga is the massage of the head which helps in the reduction of stress and improvement of memory.
- Nasya: Nasya treatment refers to panchkarma therapy that includes installation of medicated oils, ghee or powders through the nasal route. This treatment benefits disorders of shira because. According to ayurveda classics, Nose is the pathways to our brain “nasa hi shirso dwara”. Therefore Nasya karma helps to improve intelligence and memory.
Oils useful for all these interventions are anu tailam, tila tailam, brahmi tala tailam ,mahanarayan tailam, kshirbala tailam, bala tailam, balaaswagandhadi tailam etc.