In today’s scenario, our children are addicted to mobile phones. Many parents have given gadgets to kids at an early age ( 3 to 4 yrs ). No issue how simple mobile phones make it for parents to calm down their children, it is significant to understand that technology has its drawbacks also. Harmful radiations from phones, tablets, and laptop screens can cause severe damage to a child’s vision. Many children need eyes glasses before adults and this must be taken seriously. So in a way to protect a child vision and to avoid eye damage during the early years of learning prevention and timely treatment is necessary.
Signs and symptoms of the compromised eye:
- Inability to read the classroom board
- Squinting and constant headache
- Unable to differentiate between colors
- Redness and watery discharge
Risks Due to excessive use of mobile phones
- Developing Myopia(nearsightedness)
- Symptoms of Mobile or computer vision syndrome (CVS): a state characterized by a combination of eye strain, headaches, and fatigue-related discomfort and posture problems.
- High-energy blue light produced by the screens of mobile and other digital devices appears to contribute to CVS symptoms. Also, research suggests blue light has the potential to cause oxidative stress on the retina of the eye over time.
- Dry Eyes
- Squint development
What Can I Do to Protect My Child’s vision?
- Avoid giving mobile phones/gadgets for children.
- Limit screen time strictly.
- Take frequent “eye breaks.”A very helpful technique when using a mobile or other digital devices is called the “20-20-20 rule”.
- Every 20 minutes, stop looking at your screen for at least 20 seconds to look at something at least 20 feet away. This relaxes your eye muscles to prevent fatigue that leads to eye strain and headaches.
- Encourage outdoor games in children.
- Again spending more time outdoors may decrease the risk of becoming nearsighted.
- Provide nutritious meals with fruits, vegetable nuts, These foods contain key antioxidants and nutrients such as vitamin C, A, and E, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for healthy vision.
- Make sure your baby is following moving objects with his eyes and developing eye-hand coordination.
- Engage your children in different activities like:
- Reading Books
- Drawing and painting
- Finger painting
- Building or linking blocks
- Modeling clay
Ophthalmics in Ayurveda: In the Ayurvedic system of medicine, as mentioned in ancient Indian books like Charak Samhita, Sushruta Samhita, Bhav Prakash, Ras Tarang, Nayan Drastam and Astanghriday, there are a number of plants which are used in ophthalmic disorders, either single or in compound formulations. In Ayurveda, various eye disorders and diseases like Abhishyand (Conjunctivitis), Drishti dosha, Adhimanth (Glaucoma), Timir(Cataract), etc. have been described in great details with treatment, fomentation and washing with different extracts have also been prescribed.
- Gingko Biloba
- Dhaniya phant useful in dry eyes disorder
Ayurveda Ethical Drugs for Eyes Disorders
- Saptamrit Loha (especially useful for strengthening eye muscles )
- Triphala Ghrit
- Jeevantyadi Ghrit
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Triphala Powder
- Netra Vasti with Triphala Ghrit
- Seka ( Fomentation )
- The paste made by ayurvedic herb like Chandan, Mulethi, etc
- Washing with Triphla Phanta